You are now the brand new owner of a gorgeous and durable asphalt driveway! Which may have you wondering…how do I care for this investment? Luckily the experts at Epic Paving have put together a list to make caring for your asphalt driveway a breeze.
The First 14 Days
For starters, if your driveway has just been paved we ask that you avoid car traffic on the surface for at least 3 days, or 5 if you live in a hot climate. The first 14 days of your driveway’s life are critical – so it is important to avoid parking on the driveway for those first 2 weeks.
The Curing Period
Asphalt can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to fully cure; special precautions must be taken during this period of your new driveway’s life. Easy steps to take include:
- Do not park on the asphalt during the hottest part of the day.
- Avoid placing sharp objects, such as bike stands and boat jacks, on the surface.
- To help dispense the weight of the tires, place plywood under the front tires.
- Do not allow heavy trucks to park on the driveway for the first season.
- Because asphalt is an oil-based material, it is imperative to avoid other oils such as gasoline spilling on the driveway. These substances can dissolve the surface of the driveway and cause deterioration. Clean any spills immediately to minimize damage.
- Fill cracks as soon as they appear. Cracks can be caused by the freezing and thawing cycle of colder climates, making them unavoidable. However keeping the cracks filled and the driveway seal coated can help prevent long term damage from occurring.
- Edges are the most vulnerable part of a driveway. Avoid parking or driving on the edges of your driveway to minimize cracking and crumbling. You can also place soil along the sides of the driveway that will not only allow for water drainage, but support the edges and enhance the beauty of your driveway.
We thank you for entrusting Epic Paving with your asphalt driveway installation. By following these tips, you can ensure a long life for your new driveway. If you have any questions, contact our qualified team of professionals today at 416-701-1881 or email@example.com.