Asphalt is known for its durability. Roads, driveways, sidewalks, and many other surfaces are all paved with asphalt for that reason—to last as long as possible. Like all materials, time, use, and weather can wear down asphalt. What’s more, it’s subject to damages and stains. However, asphalt can be maintained and cleaned with the proper steps. And luckily, asphalt driveway maintenance is a straightforward process that doesn’t require many items.
What You Need
Before you start trying to clean your driveway, gather the following materials.
- Long-handled Brush
- Small Brush (optional)
- Eye Protection
- Professional Degreaser
- Bleach (optional)
Cleaning Your Asphalt Driveway
- To start, brush away any loose debris from your driveway. This includes sticks, bugs, dirt, grass cuttings, leaves, and similar substances. If you skip this step, as you try to clean your driveway, you’ll find a much more difficult time, especially if there are dirt and grime mixed into your asphalt. It’s best to thoroughly brush your driveway.
- Take your hose and spray down your entire driveway. You want water over the full surface, so the asphalt can moisten. Allowing this moisture to soak into the asphalt can help loosen sediment and impurities that shouldn’t be there.
- Here is where you’ll need to make a quick solution. In your bucket, mix one-part degreaser with three parts water. Some people may choose to add bleach for further cleaning, but it’s not necessary for a thorough clean. Make sure you’ve mixed all the ingredients well.
- Pour the solution over a small to a medium-sized section of your driveway. Let the solution sit for a couple of minutes to soak.
- Begin using your long-handled brush to scrape the surface of your driveway. If you prefer to get on your hands and knees with a short brush, you can get a deeper clean of your driveway. However, standing with a long-handled brush should do the job well enough.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 around the rest of your driveway.
- If your driveway is still dirty, rinse your whole driveway off. Then, repeat steps 4 & 5 a second time.
- Upon completion, make sure you thoroughly rinse your driveway to get rid of any dirt and degreaser.
Alternative Cleaning Options
For best results, consider using a power washer. This added pressure will help all stages of cleaning. In the beginning, you’ll have a much easier time removing all the dirt and grime before starting the brushing phase. After cleaning, rinsing the driveway will also be significantly easier.
Furthermore, if you do not have a professional degreaser, you can use one of the following options. While the results may not be the same quality, they will still do a good job of cleaning.
- Baking Soda
- Dish Soap
- Powdered Detergent
Contact Epic Paving Today with any Asphalt Driveway Concerns
If you need services beyond cleaning like asphalt resurfacing in Ontario, call Epic Paving today!